Tuesday, November 18, 2003

"All That's Left Of Me Is My Celebrity"

Amidst all the Strum und Drang of last night, I forgot to mention a couple of positive things that occurred yesterday. First, I finally picked up some new running shoes, so maybe now my legs will stop trying to kill me every time I run. The other and more important thing was my friend Sarah Rosenberg called me out of the blue. Turns out I'd given her my phone number in a random email we'd exchanged several weeks ago that I'd honestly completely forgotten about it. So when she called me yesterday evening about half an hour before I headed off for work, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I shot the proverbial bull with her for a bit, then headed off to work. She is one person who really has her life together and figured out. Sarah's always been a rather focused person, knowing exactly what she wants and going for it with an intensity and drive that I find myself wishing I could emulate. Instead, I usually find myself listless and aimless, cast adrift with little direction and no wind in my sails, attempting to coast over still water.

I got a copy of the latest Barenaked Ladies album from James over the weekend, and I've been giving it a spin the past couple of days. My verdict is that it's quite good, which is nice because I needed a decent album after the other most recent CD I picked up, the Strokes' Room on Fire, which sucked like an industrial vaccum. I was left unimpressed by the Strokes, finding their musicianship rather basic and their lyrics trite and uninspired. Everything sort of chugs along at the same pace, with no attention paid to finding real hooks or melodies, but rather relying on playing fast and loud a la 70s punk, but without the energy or real swagger. If these guys are supposed to be the saviors of rock and roll, I don't think I want to be redeemed.

But as I said, the Barenaked Ladies' newest, Everything to Everyone, is quite good. Not their best--then again, it's hard to top the genius of their debut, Gordon, or of Stunt, or even the inspired live versions found on Rock Spectacle--but still a good, solid effort with some memorable tunes, lots of hooks and the great harmonies I've come to expect from the Ladies, and a healthy dose of their trademark humor with a measure of maturity. This is a band that is comfortable with the music it's making, and that shines through on each song. The members of the band are enjoying themselves, they're enjoying the music they make, and they've found their groove. Plus, "Another Postcard" is just damn fun, and it's not even the best song on the album. Any album where I can find at least three or four songs that I enjoy is a good album, in my opinion, and this album manages to dish out at least a half dozen tunes that I'm hooked on.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Barenaked Ladies, "Maybe Katie"

No comments: