Tuesday, May 25, 2004

"Book Of My Life"

So I've been getting these emails from the OU Library the past few weeks about a book I requested over Interlibrary Loan being overdue. It's a book I asked for to work on my Master's Thesis, and I did indeed get this book (I think it ended up coming from OBU, actually), but I also turned all the books I had checked out for the Thesis back in right after Spring Break. This book was among them.

So why am I getting these damn overdue notices, I wonder? Well, I wander on down to the library last week one afternoon after work, and I have a little chat with the girl who does all the Interlibrary Loan stuff. So she says she'll look into it, and asks me to go ahead and check my place for the book again. Okay, sure, I'll play along--even though I know the book isn't in my apartment, my car, anyone else's apartment, or my parents' house (it never actually left my apartment between the time I checked it out and the time I returned it), I'll look for it again.

Anyway, I sent them an email yesterday informing them I did not have the book in my possession. They sent me a reply back this afternoon telling me they could not find it in their stuff, either, so they'd get back to me on how much replacing the book would cost.

Now wait a minute--I was not the one who lost the book. I know I returned the damn thing. So why am I being charged money to replace it?

Yeah, I'm going down tomorrow to have another little chat to explain why the person who did not lose the book is not the person who should have to pay for it. We'll see how it goes.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Glen Phillips, "Courage"

No comments: