Friday, July 28, 2006

The CDs In My Car

Happy Friday, folks. I for one am glad it's finally here.

I do most of my music listening in the car, 'cause I spend a lot of time driving to and from work and all. So here are the CDs that are in my car as of today and that I've been listening to all week...

1) Tom Petty, Highway Companion: Michelle got this for me Wednesday, and I've listened to it constantly since then. It left the car only to head to the CD player in the apartment that night. Great music for driving, though better for the late at night driving than the early morning drive to work. Easily the best thing he's done in about a decade.

2) The Beatles, Please Please Me: There's this joyous, vital energy to The Beatles' early stuff that just never cropped up in their later, more mature work. While this may be the sound of a band still finding itself, it's so much damn fun that you can't help but sing along at the top of your lungs.

3) Barenaked Ladies, Stunt: One of the CDs that convinced me that it was okay to like newer music. The manic energy of "One Week," the goofy sweetness of "Some Fantastic," the poignant sadness of "Light Up My Room" and "Told You So"...it's just a great album from beginning to end. Still my favorite BNL record.

4) David Gray, Life in Slow Motion: Significantly mellower and more subdued than his previous stuff (and that's really saying something), this record still has some excellent stuff on it and a couple of great tunes like "Alibi," "Ain't No Love," and "Nos da Cariad" (I have no idea what that means, either).

So yeah. Weekend's almost here. Just a few more hours to freedom.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: David Gray, "Alibi"

No comments: