Monday, February 27, 2006

"She May Cleave Me Like A Snow Plow"

Spent most of last night driving between Fairfax and Harrisonburg, VA. I took Cristabel to Harrisonburg so she could work this week. Apparently her ride had flaked out on her, so I offerred to give her a ride ('cause I'm a nice guy like that). The trip took longer than I thought it would, but I didn't really mind all that much. It was fun getting to hang out and chat with Cris on the way down there, and nice to have a chance on the ride back to just drive without having to worry about making it to work on time or deal with all the damned traffic. I actually got to set my cruise control for the first time since I came to this state, which was a novelty.

Spent most of this evening working on the journal abstracts that are due for my education class tomorrow night. I got them all written, but not without a measure of ADD creeping into my work habits and rendering me incapable of focusing on something for more than thirty seconds. They're done and all, and they're decent, but I don't feel I actually gleaned anything useful from this assignment (which is actually how I feel about the class in general).

Watched Mirrormask with Michelle and Cris Saturday night. Very groovy flick. It's like Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal and anything cool and fantasy that the Jim Henson Company was connected to in the 1980s. The fact that it was written by Neil Gaiman didn't hurt, either. The movie had a very definite sense of style that couldn't have been pulled off if anyone but Dave McKean (the guy who's collaborated with Gaiman on covers for The Sandman and all sorts of other interesting projects) had directed it. He's got a style and feel to his work that no one else out there has, and I think the film really benefited from his rather strange point of view.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to sit here and yammer on and on about all sorts of inane stuff, I can't. I can hear the siren song of sleep calling out to me from my pillow. I should probably answer it. Tomorrow is my long day, with my class after school, and I have to take some of my students to the public library to introduce them to real research tomorrow. Glee.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Minus 5, "Twilight Distillery"

No comments: