Sunday, April 18, 2004

"They Asked Me For Some Collateral So I Pulled Down My Pants"

It was a good weekend. A freakin' long weekend, to be sure, but a good one.

Friday evening, I went over to my aunt and uncle's place in Midwest City to visit them and see my cousin's wife and daughter who're over from New Mexico. Had a blast, tried some falaffle (or however it's spelt), which I really dug, and just sat around on their back porch all night shootin' the bull. Got up early Saturday and drove up to Ponca City to visit my grandparents and Scott, who was over visiting them from school for the weekend. We went up to Witchita, ate at the Olive Garden (Scott's favorite restaurant, and since we were doing this mostly to celebrate his birthday, it seemed appropriate he pick out our dining location) and then went shopping. Found a couple things I'd have liked to have had, but nothing I couldn't live without. Scott couldn't find a single thing he wanted, leaving him rather annoyed (I think he was looking to spend money yesterday, and then he didn't get to...this made him sad, I guess. I dunno). I was pretty out of it for a lot of Saturday, because it was the second day in a row I'd gotten up at 6.00 am and about the third or fourth day in a row I'd only gotten 3 or 4 hours of sleep. But I still had a good time, and my grandmother sent me home with lots of goodies this morning (jellybeans of the Starburst variety, some homemade cookies, etc.). When I got back to Norman, I paid a visit to Best Buy and picked up the two disc Eagles Best Of collection and the Beatles' Rubber Soul. It's funny that, as big of a Beatles fanatic as I am, I only actually own a couple of their albums. The reason is that my dad has all of them, and it always seemed kinda silly to have copies of CDs I could drive home and borrow if I wanted.

Now, I'm thinking a bit differently. I'm also thinking that sometime soon, I may not be anywhere close enough that I can just drive home on the weekend and borrow CDs. So I'm starting to find all the Beatles CDs at good prices and getting them. It's gonna take awhile--of albums, I only have Hard Day's Night, Abbey Road, and now Rubber Soul. But I'll get there eventually.

After Best Buy, I met Jess and Dom over at a Chinese Restaurant for lunch. It's been awhile since I've eaten Chinese (a bad experience back in high school really turned me off to the stuff for a long time), but it was good. Beth was supposed to join us, but she had to meet with her Capstone group at like 1.30 or something, so she didn't have time.

Anyway, if I hadn't spent so much time in my car this weekend, it would've been a relaxing couple of days. As it stands, they may not have been extremely relaxing in the physical sense (I am still feeling rather exhausted and drained), but they were very recouperative in the emotional and mental sense. I feel I can face the rest of the semester now...which mostly involves doing that 30 page research paper I still haven't started. I've been terrible this semester. No motivation. No sense of real purpose over the last couple of weeks. I blame grad schools and their unwillingness to accept me.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: The Eagles, "On the Border"

No comments: