Saturday, April 24, 2004

"Ridin' The Storm Out"

It's been an interesting if rather rollercoaster few days. I had the nice yelling match with my mom the other day (well, I say "match," but really it was just me getting pissed off and yelling at her). Then she calls me up Friday afternoon her mood's completely changed. She's chatting about inconsequential stuff, like having cleaned the carpet back home.

After the chit-chat, she did actually get back to the issue at hand--what I'm doing with my life. But she took a much softer, and in my mind, better approach this time. Rather than chewing me out for what I hadn't done or should be doing, she discussed it with me rationally and actually expressed some sympathy. She actually ended up telling me exactly what I needed to hear this time instead of exactly what I didn't need to hear, as she had on Wednesday.

Being my mother, she of course had to nag a bit, which is only to expected. Of course, she also wanted me to call my youngest brother up and let him know they'd be out of town this weekend. Why she feels that my sibling, who will probably spend his time sleeping, playing video games, eating, and being spoiled by my maternal grandparents (who he said are planning to visit him this weekend), needs to be told that our parents are out of town for the weekend is beyond me. I guess she figures that since she wants to know exactly where we are every waking moment of our lives, we want to know where she is all the time, too. Personally, I'm of the opinion that she's a big girl and can go where she damn-well pleases. If we need to get ahold of her, we have dad's cellphone number (even if said cellphone is never turned on).

See, my mom and dad and my paternal grandparents are currently in Eureka Springs, AR, for a little weekend getaway. I myself am trying to figure out how any trip you take your parents on can be classified as a "getaway," since I've always operated under the assumption that you're trying to get away from them, but hey, this was my folks' idea, not mine, so they can do as they please.

Hey, maybe it's like when I take my parents somewhere, and my dad's folks will pay for everything. Probably not, though.

In other news, I kissed Beth on Monday, and it was probably the best thing I've done since coming to Norman. Whether or not this leads to anything else is mere speculation at this point, but even if nothing more serious develops out of this, I'm happy just being her friend, as I have been since I met her. I'd be happy being something more, too, but I'll be content if things remain at the status quo.

Well, off for bed. Six a.m. comes awfully early on a Saturday morning, and work is gonna be hell.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "Act Naturally"

No comments: