Friday, April 28, 2006

"All The Money You Make Will Never Buy Back Your Soul"

So apparently the Vatican doesn't like The Da Vinci Code because they feel it is offensive to the Christian religion, and they want a boycott of the flick. Personally, I thought the film was offensive because it's based on such a poorly-written book. How they got Ian McKellan and Tom Hanks to be in this crock of fecal matter is beyond me.

Coming home early was definitely the best choice this afternoon. I returned, got my garage spot back (after someone was blocking my driveway all last night), and crashed in bed for several hours. I'm ready to go back to bed already, I think, and just hope I feel even a bit better in the morning.

I've committted myself to something like four or five acts at the school's Soap Box Night next month. It's basically a talent show/open mic night where students and staff can get up and perform for everyone. I'm breakin' out the guitar and playing several songs: the DHT song "Listen to Your Heart" (one of those quasi-Christian tunes that came out in the late '80s/early '90s; this student really needs to start listening to some good music, 'cause he's the same kid who willingly listens to Kenny G); a duet of the Johnny Cash/June Carter tune "Jackson," and an India.Arie song called "Ready for Love" (and I have to say: I really like the idea of acoustic guitar-driven neo-classical soul. There's just something about invoking the heyday of Motown and Atlantic Records that I really dig). I'm also going to do a song by myself, though I haven't decided what just yet. Maybe an original Yeti tune, 'cause I haven't really played enough of those for people yet.

Anyway, the weekend is shaping up to be a busy one. I'm going to see JB again tomorrow night (I saw it last night; they'd definitely improved over the trainwreck in progress I'd seen at Sunday's rehersal) and again Sunday afternoon ('cause they need extra help that day). Should be a good time. I might also do some housecleaning, just 'cause. All of this, of course, assumes that I'm well enough to drag myself out of bed tomorrow.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bruce Springsteen, "Old Dan Tucker"

No comments: