Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"A Red Guitar On Fire"

A conversation with my mother this evening revealed that my guitar has been ordered and that it will most likely arrive this Friday or the following Monday. This is of considerable news to me, as I wasn't expecting to see it until something right before we left for Oklahoma. I figured at least another week or two.

I looked in a mirror yesterday afternoon and realized I looked like I hadn't slept since 1945 (an impressive feat, given that I wasn't born until 1980. That's right: I'm a retroactive insomniac). It was rather frightening: the skin around my eyes was blotchy and palid, with a sort of sickly yellowish cast to it. I looked almost...creepy.

Granted, I haven't really changed my sleeping habits. I was awake until almost 2.00 last night, and here it is almost midnight tonight and I'm still up. Over the break, I need to get myself into the habit of going to bed early so I can get plenty of sleep. The chances of this actually happening are slim, but it's fun to say I'll try.

We've been dealing with karma at the apartment this week. On the one hand, we've heard dozens of glowing praises for Wen's production of Oz. On the other, she got a five page diatribe yesterday from an unknown misnathrope (a note and plea: if you're going to bash and badmouth someone, please at least own up to doing it. Put your damn name on it, people!) that made every effort to belittle Wendy and the entire theatre department's achievement. I was rather miffed. Wen thinks she knows who it might've been (she has it narrowed down to a couple of possible suspects). Regardless of who it was, it was a cowardly and callow attack that showed a complete lack of decency or understanding of how this show was produced and put on. There were also scads of grammatical mistakes, and I took a certain vicious glee in finding most of them in a cursory read-through.

To end on a positive note, though: I ran into the apartment building's tenant leader, a teacher from a local middle school, and she had nothing but glowing praise for the show to pass on to Wen. It all balances out in the end, I say.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Coldplay, "What If"

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

"It means frightened and weak willed"