Tuesday, December 06, 2005

"I Saw The Snow Fall In Black And White"

Let's recap the last week or so, shall we?

I spent all of last week either at Accotink teaching or at Wen's school helping get everything ready for Oz. I got roped into helping the witch "melt," and ended up with a headful of glitter for my troubles (long story). The show was a great success, selling roughly 2700 tickets over the course of the three-day run. We sold out Friday night and had great shows the rest of the time. I ran things on Saturday evening's show, so of course several things requiring important decisions on my part cropped up that evening. We muddled through, though, and we're all damn proud of how the show did.

Sunday was spent striking the set. We got all the important stuff done that afternoon, though we didn't get to repain the entire floor like Wen wanted to (in part because we couldn't find enough of the right kind of paint for them). It was strange seeing the auditorium empty like that, all the set pieces broken down and stored away. The show went by much too quickly, though.

Sunday night, Michelle came over and we exchanged Christmas presents. I got her Neil Gaiman's Mirror Mask and My Morning Jacket's Z, and she got me a collection of out-of-print/unpublished Dashiell Hammet stories and Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, which is easily one of the coolest presents ever.

It snowed yesterday afternoon/evening, ultimately meaning today was a delayed start morning: we didn't start classes until 10.30. Personally, these delay mornings strike me as ridiculous. Take the Oklahoma route, people: either have school or don't! Stop piddling around!

Last night managed to convince me that I'm glad I'm not a business/marketing major. I proofread a paper for Scott, and the paper was the driest, most monotonous thing I've read in a long time. Of course, the fault didn't really lie with my sibling: he's a good writer, it's just a crappy format/style to write in.

I also learned how to play the Flaming Lips' "Fight Test" on the guitar last night, which made me ridiculously happy. On a related note, dad says he'll be ordering my new guitar sometime in the next day or so, meaining I'll receive it before Christmas. This is a good thing.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: John Mellencamp, "Rain on the Scarecrow"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I . . . ended up with a headful of glitter for my troubles" -- I always knew you'd go glam some day!