Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Great Mac/PC Switch Over

So we finally did it: we finally switched from PCs to Macs.

Michelle and I have been talking about it for awhile now. We were both rather dreading having to switch to Windows Vista, which I'm pretty sure is a craptastic operating system that isn't anywhere near as intuitive as previous iterations of Windows were. It was also trying too hard to be like a Mac. We figured, why settle for OS X lite when you can buy a Mac and get the real thing? So we did.

And God, did we go big.

We each grabbed a laptop--she got the 13" MacBook, I got the 15" MacBook Pro--and we got a Mac Mini to set up as our network hub and to have all of our stuff (scanner, printer, etc.) hooked up to it. Total damages are estimated around $4500. But hey, that's for three brand-new computers, all the software, and a couple of other odds and ends (laptop bag for Michelle, keyboard for the Mini, etc.).

So far, I'm really pleased with the new computers. the Mini is really easy to use, and once I figured out how to make the cable modem work with it, I haven't had any problems. Sometime tonight, I'll get the scanner up and running on this bad boy. There are also so many applications and programs on here that I want to try out, it's not even funny.

Anyway, I'm awfully happy with the whole setup. We've finally got the wireless network up and running the way we want it (which is something we never really accomplished with the PCs), we're selling our old computers to Michelle's sister for a pitance, and all is groovy in the land of Cottrell.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: XTC, "Scarecrow People"

No comments: