Sunday, June 11, 2006

"I've Got A Little Space To Fill"

So busy these past few days. The last couple of weeks of the school year are apparently destined to be nothing but a blur of activity and very little actual teaching. Ah well.

Crap, that reminds me: I have to do grades for the seniors by tomorrow, and all my stuff is at school. Guess I know what I'll be doing on my planning period.

The school's book sale went very well. We made something like $500 for the two days, all of which is pure profit (ah, the joy of donated books). I myself picked up an interesting assortment of books, including some Tolstoy, James Thurber, Herman Hesse, and three books on American folklore and folk songs (with guitar chords and stuff for the songs). All for less than $10.

The Tom Petty concert last night kicked serious ass. That man knows how to put on a show, and Mike Campbell is still one of the best damn guitarists in rock'n'roll. Period. Also one of the most underrated. His guitar work fits seamlessly into every song, and his guitar is a part of him, almost something organic. And they have a new album coming out within the next month. They played a couple of songs from it. Oh yes, I shall be purchasing it.

The trip to King's Dominion on Thursday was quite enjoyable. We rode rollercoasters, ate expensive (and not terribly good) food, and basically ran around the near-empty park all day and had a grand time. The weather was perfect, and it was nice to have a day to relax and just have fun.

I am insured, as I might have mentioned in a previous post, of having a summer job at the school. From what I understand, the summer is very laid back: we do academics in the morning and fun activities (the park, the pool, etc.) in the afternoon. Plus I get to continue getting paid and don't have to worry about money as much. These are good things.

I shaved off most of the beard o' doom the other day on a whim. I left the chin patch and some sideburns (which look remarkably small after having the full beard thing for so many months). Michelle wants me to grow it back. Since she's the girlfriend, I think I'm obligated to comply as quickly as my facial hair will grow back.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "Insider (Live)"

No comments: