Saturday, September 06, 2008

"We Wouldn't Have To Eat Kraft Dinners"

Another school year has started. I'm pretty content with my classes this year. I've got U.S. History and World History II (as usual), and I'm teaching Civics and Humanities again. I haven't taught Humanities since the 2006-2007 school year, and I haven't taught Civics since my first year (2005-2006, for those keeping score). I'm also doing a Geography independent study for three students. It's the same period as Civics, but it only lasts for a semester (then someone else will have to deal with the three darling children).

We've got a new Director, and it seems like she'll be a decent fit with the school. I dunno, it's hard to make a judgment call on it since she's only been there for two weeks (and only had students for one of those weeks). I guess we'll see if she's a good match the first time there's a crisis or major issue.

Well, speaking of a crisis, we still don't have a reading teacher. For a school full of kids who have reading issues, that's a problem. We'd found someone right before the school year started, but they had to give 30 days' notice to their previous employer before they could join us. That means we've got at least two weeks before we'd have her with us, assuming that she actually decided to come join the school (we haven't been able to get ahold of her since we technically hired her two weeks ago, so that's a problem). The Director's solution? Ask my wife, Michelle, to be the new reading teacher. Michelle doesn't know if that's something she's really ready for or even wants to do. She's going to try it for a week and see what happens. There are a lot of logistical problems associated with her taking that position, but we desperately need someone there. Michelle may be just what we need.

Our friend Lauren is visiting this evening. She brought with her a variety of sausages and wines and all sorts of other crazy crap. Together with the macaroni and cheese I bought earlier this afternoon, they combine to form an evening of entertainment and excitement! Honestly.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Gaslight Anthem, "The 59 Sound"

No comments: