Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Hungry Like The Wolf"

I have only become more of a geek as I've aged. I mean, I wasn't really sure it was possible, but compare me ten years ago to me now, and it's pretty clear that the geek quotient has risen considerably.

Me Ten Years Ago
Played Magic: The Gathering (25 Geek Points)
Watched anime, including Dragonball Z (50 Geek Points)
Owned all the Star Wars films on VHS (10 Geek Points)
Read sci-fi/fantasy books for pleasure (20 Geek Points)
Read roughly 50 webcomics on a regular basis (50 Geek Points)
Total Geek Points: 155


Me Today
Play/Game Master a Star Wars Role Playing Game at school (40 Geek Points)
Own an entire bookshelf of Comic Book Trade Paper Backs (50 Geek Points)
Own all of the Star Wars films on DVD (20 Geek Points, 'cause I re-bought them)
Watch the DC Animated Universe shows (Batman, Superman, Justice League, etc.) (25 Geek Points)
Read roughly 20 webcomics on a regular basis (20 Geek Points)
Watch Doctor Who (25 Geek Points)
Total Geek Points: 180

Okay, so maybe not as wide a gulf as I thought, but it's still there. And I traded in some lower geek interests (Magic) for some higher ones (comic books).

Speaking of comic books, I've started following a few titles in their actual monthly issue format rather than waiting for trades. I'm trying to keep the number of titles I follow to a minimum, 'cause I feel that paying $3 for a 26 page comic is a bit expensive. But here's what I've been reading...

Wonder Woman: Mostly 'cause Gail Simone is writing, and I love her stuff. The first story arc she wrote was great, the second one was okay, but the third one left me a little cold. It was too scattered and disjointed, and I felt that, while Simone's got a great grasp on the character of Wonder Woman, she's not really sure what story she wants to tell with the character yet. This month's issue, though, with her boyfriend Nemesis meeting her mother, was pretty great. The second half of the story with the movie thing and all was pretty cool, too. This is the sort of story I was expecting out of Simone.

Secret Six: Speaking of Gail Simone comics, I'm also digging Secret Six. The first issue just came out, and it maintains the spirit of the original six-issue miniseries pretty well. The relationships of the main characters, while pretty screwed up, make a whole lot of sense in the context of their world. I'm really excited to see where this series is going.

Final Crisis: The only reason I'm reading this is that I have great faith in Grant Morrison. I'm not following any of the spinoffs, nor do I have any desire to. Our Lord and Savior Grant is enough for me.

Invincible Iron Man: This is a great title. I've just started getting into Matt Fraction's work (his run with co-writer Ed Brubaker and artist David Aja on Immortal Iron Fist was awesome), and this book is absolutely great. The tone and story are excellent, the characters are spot-on, and it's significantly more interesting than any of the other Iron Man titles currently available (I'm looking at you, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.). The only thing that bugs me is the art. You can tell that, especially in certain places, it's all based on photo references. The people feel too stiff. And the digital coloring doesn't help much. Everyone kinda looks...fake, I guess, but not cartoony. Like plastic people, I guess. When it's Tony Stark in the Iron Man suit, though, it's just fine (though there was an image in issue #1 where he was flying against a cloud background, and the background just looked like a photograph, while Iron Man looked like a drawing. It really bugged me).

So yes, my geekiness knows no bounds, it's true. But I'm content with it.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Walkmen, "Four Provinces"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Playing Magic is way geekier than collecting comic books.

-Michelle