Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Maria Came From Nashville"

We've made it through the first month of school. Michelle's settled into the reading position pretty well. In a way, it seems like it's what she was always supposed to do. She also knows she'll be teaching at the school at least a year past the time it takes her to earn her degree, so there's an element of job security there which is nice.

We've been celebrating her new position by updating our wardrobe. I hadn't really bought new clothes since...well, basically since I moved out here. I'd purchased a few shirts and a couple pairs of jeans, but that was three years ago. New clothes were in order for both of us, and I think we look pretty spiffy. Michelle has decided that this is the Year of the Cardigan, and to that end she's purchased a few that are very versatile and look really nice. As for me, I picked up a blazer jacket thing that's a little more casual than a sports coat or suit jacket. I basically wore it all last week, regardless of what shirt I had on underneath. Each outfit had approval from Michelle, but I secretly think she was sending me out of the house looking like a reject from Beverley Hills 90210 on occasion. I do have an inordinate love for the jacket, though.

The weather's starting to turn, and I for one couldn't be happier. Late fall and winter are always my favorite time of the year, even if it does mean occasionally having to scrape ice off the windshield. Plus, it gives me an excuse to wear that new jacket all the more often.

I've been digging a band called The Gaslight Anthem lately. They've got a Hold Steady/Bruce Springsteen vibe that's great, and the energy in their music just grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. I heartily recommend their latest, the 59 Sound, to anyone looking for exciting new music.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Gaslight Anthem, "High and Lonesome"

No comments: