Friday, June 22, 2007

"This Is Bat Country!"

Vacation is a great time, though I find the unstructured nature of it to be a bit problematic. See, as much as I hate being constantly busy with something-or-another, I also need structure to keep me focused. The time I was most productive was when I was in my first year or so of graduate school. I was taking a full load of classes, writing and researching papers all the time, working 30+ hours a week, and getting at least three comics drawn per week. I was also writing a song or so a month, traveling to Ozarks once a month, and writing short stories and the like. Every day was full of things to do, and I excelled under the pressure of constantly having things to do.

Now...well, I sleep in late, which is nice, but it means I'm wasting three or four hours per day when I could be doing important stuff. I lounge around quite a bit rather than working on things like comics or papers or stories or songs (or chores, even). Sure, I still get stuff done--I've washed all our clothes, cleaned up the kitchen, and cleaned up the living room just since Wednesday, not to mention making a trip to the grocery store, getting replacement bulbs for Michelle's brake lights, and making a trip out to Target for needful things--but I get the feeling I could have accomplished more.

Really, there's a sense of complacency that I don't much care for, a feeling of apathy towards the things I know I love to do and would enjoy doing if I just sat down and did them. I've got plans--big plans--for the future, but I have to get off my ass and work for them. Is all this the result of having to work full time as an actual adult? Or am I just giving up on things too easily?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Eagles, "Take It Easy"

No comments: