Monday, May 26, 2008

"Let's Go Fly A Kite"

Thank God for Memorial Day Weekend, that's all I'm saying.

The last month or two has been busy as all hell. Between events at school, activities taking up every weekend, and trying to get the last little bit of knowledge crammed into our students' heads before they close up for the summer, it's been crazy. Not to mention we haven't had a short week at school since Spring Break in the middle of March. Kids and teachers were getting stir crazy, lemme tell ya.

But despite all the busyness, it's been a good time. School activities have gone extremely well, including the school fun fair and the lock-in (which we substituted in for the camping trip due to flood-like rain). We had a weird scare at the lock-in when one of our students went into grand mal seizures, but everyone kept their cool and pulled together and I got to go to the hospital, which was...well, fun isn't really the word for it.

I feel I've really come into my own as a teacher this year. My classes feel more structured and organized, I feel more on top of things, and my pacing is much better. I'm still not getting as far in U.S. History as I'd like (only up to about World War II this year), but it's still a damn sight better than last year (Reconstruction) or the year before that (the freakin' 1850s. That was a rough year for all of us).

We flew kites with Michelle's sisters today out in the field across from our apartment building. The wind wasn't as cooperative as we'd have liked, but it was still a lot of fun. Doing an outdoor-type activity for Memorial Day just seemed right somehow.

Speaking of physical activity, we picked up Wii Fit last week. It's neat because it actually manages to make exercising (which I'm not too fond of) fun and interesting. I especially like how playing more unlocks new exercises and such, so it's like it's a game where I'm encouraged to compete in a totally healthy (pun intended) way.

Only 14 more days with students. The end is so close I can almost touch it.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The National, "Slow Show (Demo)"

No comments: