Monday, October 03, 2005

"From Across The Canyon A Guitar Plays"

Long weekend. Much accomplished, but much left undone.

For example: I now have Virginia license plates (which are good until October 2007), thus absolving me of any potential problems with expired plates. However, I was unable to get a Virginia driver's license because I did not have my passport or birth certificate. Apparently, my old Oklahoma driver's license wasn't enough to convince them I was me. Didn't get a chance to see Serenity, which I think makes me a really bad Firefly fan. However, I did help Wendy Saturday afternoon with various stuff at her first Oz rehersal. She introduced me to her stage managers, whom she told I would be around to help with various stuff and act as a surrogate Ms. Flora (or, as one stage director so suscinctly put it, "He's Ms. Flora with a penis"). I didn't get my laundry done, though it's being washed at the moment.

The history teacher at Accotink is lobbying to have me become the official teacher for the 4th period US/VA History class. The class has responded well to me when I have been in charge, and she could really use the break. It's fine by me, but as I pointed out to her, I'm starting to take on an awful lot of responsibility for an assistant teacher. If they're going to have me teach classes as a full-fledged teacher, I ought to receive the benefits commiserate with that: things like higher pay and a planning period. We'll have to see how that works out.

I chatted with my aunt this afternoon for about an hour about various things, including my parents' current problems. Though she's married to my father's brother, she's been very supportive of my mother, which I think annoys dad. He doesn't understand why his family has been there for my mother but not for him so much. I think part of it has to do with him closing himself off from everyone while she's actually gone to them for comfort and conversation. Of course, he might also just be behaving like a complete dick for the hell of it, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "Making Some Noise"

No comments: