Wednesday, August 18, 2004

"If You've Never Stared Off Into The Distance Then Your Life Is A Shame"

Finally got in touch with my advisor. I have a meeting scheduled with him for Friday morning at 10.00. In preparation for this meeting, I've made all the corrections to the Master's Thesis which Ev suggested and printed out two or three copies of the paper (that way, I can give a revised copy to each member of my committee, all of whom are, amazingly enough, going to be teaching this semester. They're back from sabatical! Finally!). Hell, I've even got a list of classes I'd like to take. I am on the ball, man!

Yeah, stop snickering. There is a first time for everything, y'know.

Looks like my dead computer chair will get replaced soon. The welding started coming apart last week, as I might've mentioned, so it's really not a stable chair to sit in. But I talked with mom last night, and my dad has an old chair out at his office which belonged to my great-grandfather years and years ago. This chair is build solid, let me tell you--the thing could take a nuclear strike and still work. Plus the thing is damn comfortable and leans back until you're damn-near horizontal. How that will be advantageous is probably not something that'll ever enter into my existence.

I've been thinking recently about the variety of friends I have. Mostly I'm thinking in terms of personality and political/social orientation here. On one end of the spectrum, I have exceptionally liberal and progressive friends, such as Ev. At the other end of that spectrum, I have rather conservative friends, such as Jess and Dom. I get the feeling if I were ever to get all of my friends together in one world, the combined oppositional force would cause a collapse and implosion in the fabric of reality. While I'm able to get along with all of my friends, I get the feeling that many of them would not be able to get along with each other. As it stands, I can already think of a few off the top of my head who don't get along. But so it goes.

Part of me is amused by how Ev attempts to father me even as he resists the urge to do so. Mostly this is expressed in his concern for whether or not I'll be able to make more friends along the lines of what I have with Beth or him. Which kinda makes me laugh, 'cause he's worried I'm going to become an anti-social hermit of some sort, and seems to forget that I made friends with people like Beth and him this time around when I didn't know anyone coming in. I have a knack for making friends, or for falling into friendships accidentally. It's served me well so far, and though I know relying on such luck is probably not the safest way to make friends, I've been given no indication that I shouldn't rely on it. In short, I know I'll be okay. I may go through periods where I don't know many people, but I always find folks eventually.

Well, only 6 1/2 more hours of work to go! My, how the day flies!

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Wilco, "War on War"

No comments: