Wednesday, November 26, 2003

"Films About Ghosts"

So it's been a long day, I do believe. Got up at 4:00 this morning to take my friend Dominic to the airport. Then I went back to bed, because hey, I may be a nice guy, but I'm also a sleepy guy, and when my youngest sibling calls at 1:30am, right as I'm falling asleep, and causes me to only get like two hours of sleep total, I'm damn well gonna go back to bed and catch up.

Beyond that, the day was spent doing research and running errands. Tomorrow will be spent running (morning) and eating more turkey than is really recommended for continued health. And mashed potatoes and gravy. And stuffing. And bread, of whatever variety (mom will fix rolls, and Beth said she was gonna bring some cheese bread because she felt back about not contributing. Who am I to stop her?). And let us also not forget the wonder of pie. Mmm, pie.

Yes, it's a good thing I'm running five miles tomorrow morning. As it stands, I'll probably have to run five more after dinner just to cut my loses and come out even on the day. So it goes. Only in America could we invent an entire holiday designed to enshrine gluttony and the oppression of ethnic minorities through privatization of land and lots of diseases. Huzzah for the measles and cholera.

Despite the slightly cynical nature of the preceeding paragraph, I do rather enjoy Thanksgiving. I'm not sure I could even begin to ennumerate all the things I'm thankful for. I guess, in no particular order, the big ones would be: I'm thankful for my friends and family (that one is #1, regardless); having a roof over my head and food to eat; not having to worry about whether or not I'll starve tomorrow; living in a country where, though I disagree vehemently with some of the government's policies and dislike our leader immensely, I have a right and a freedom to do so; I'm thankful for my talents and skills, meager though they be, and for the joy I think they bring to others' lives; and I'm thankful for the joy others bring to my life on a daily basis. I'm also thankful for good music, anime, and movies. And the Dhali Llama, because he rocks.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Counting Crows, "Friend of the Devil"

No comments: