Sunday, June 13, 2004

"Two Dollar Pistol But The Gun Won't Shoot"

The internet in my apartment has been sporadically connected at best for the better part of the past week. I think it has something to do with all the rain we've been having--this area of the University was built decades ago (we're talking World War II era), and not much about it has been updated since then. The fact that I even have internet access in my apartment sometimes astounds me, to be honest.

But for some reason, whenever we have really heavy rain for a prolonged period of time (as we have most of this past week), it makes the connection go wonky. It's almost as bad at work over in the stadium, a scant couple of blocks away from my apartment. the wiring over there is really old, too, and they're not only prone to having internet trouble in heavy rain, but to having electrical outages at the drop of a raindrop. At least my place isn't quite that bad.

Anyway, the internet problem means I've had trouble staying connected for more than a few minutes at a time during the worst periods, and for even an hour or so when it's not quite as bad. It's made MSN Messenger especially touchy, and since several of the people I talk to on a daily basis use that program, it means that I'll be in the middle of a conversation, and suddenly I'll get booted. or I'll be trying to load up my email or something, and it won't load. Stuff should load on this computer (and this network) nigh instantaneously, but I'm lucky right now if it loads at all. Blarg.

Got to talk to Amanda E. earlier this afternoon, which was nice. Haven't had a good, long conversation with her in much too long, probably since the last time I was at Ozarks (back in February, that was). I'm probably going to go visit her before Heather's wedding at the end of July, since I have the two or three days prior to that wedding off from work.

In completely unrelated news, Dim Bulb Comics turns 1 on Friday, and my brother Clif turns 21 tomorrow. Hard to believe Adam and I have been doing the website that long, or that we have as many readers as we do (at the same time, sometimes I feel we don't have anywhere near as many readers as we should have or deserve, but that's a rant that's already been made). Equally hard to believe that my middle brother will be legally able to drink tomorrow. Not that he will. Clif's one of the most straight-laced people I know. I mean, you think I'm boring when it comes to alcohol and things of that nature...Clif's even more so. Scott's about the same. We're boring young adults, y'know?

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Tom Waits, "Jockey Full of Bourbon"

No comments: