Sunday, May 09, 2004

"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"

I think graduation is one of the most bittersweet moments in life.

On the one hand, hey, you've just done something wonderful and impressive and worth being proud of. You have accomplished something big.

On the other hand, this part of your life has come to an end. My friends will soon be leaving me. This time next month, Jess and Dom will be getting married or already married (I can't remember the exact date). Then they'll head off on their honeymoon. Beth'll leave me for New York. When Jess and Dom return, who knows where they'll end up. Maybe still here, maybe Shawnee, maybe OKC...

And in August, we move Beth to Florida State.

They're all leaving me again. It's like Ozarks all over again, only this time, it'll be worse.

This time, it's not possible to go back for a visit. There're no new people to look forward to meeting in a new place, because I'm still stuck in the same place.

And my refuge, Clarksville, is losing most of the people who made it so.

All of these notions hit me this past evening while I attended the Geosciences Graduation at OU for Beth and Dominic. Wandering around the reception afterwards, taking snapshots for Beth of her and all her friends...several of them will be in the close proximity to one another next Fall. I know at least one or two of Beth's friends are going to Florida State as well. Most of my close friends are leaving me.

I think I'm just feeling sorry for myself, but I hating parting. I hate it when those I love go away, even if that's exactly what is right for them to do. But I hate the loneliness, and loathe myself all the more sometimes for the fact that I'm not leaving, too.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: New Radicals, "Crying Like a Church on Monday"

No comments: