Sunday, May 23, 2004

"Baby Said She's Travelling On The One After 909"

Went to my aunt and uncle's place last night for a bit of food and entertainment. The guys from my uncle's band were gathered with their wives to have a baby shower for the drummer's wife (who is pregnant enough to pop any day now...as my aunt said, there's no way this woman will make it to the 17th of June. I'd be surprised if the baby wasn't born by the end of next week). So they fed me, and they played music.

It was a fun evening, though the music wasn't as great as I was hoping for. The biggest problem was that (1) they mostly played bluegrass, and (2) when they played a song I did know and knew the words to, they'd play it in a key I couldn't sing.

Now, the bluegrass thing isn't that big of a deal. I can handle bluegrass, in small doses. Admittedly, this was like a four or five hour dose, but no worries. The other bothered me more, because I came across sounding completely awful every time they played a song I knew (with the exception of Van Morrison's "Wild Night," which I can sing very well, and Tom Petty's "Listen to Her Heart," which I think I did decently on). But all the Beatles tunes they played were out of my (admittedly limited) range.

Ah well. I got lots of leftovers from the shin-dig. Beth and I are gonna dig in to some of the hamburgers here in a while, actually.

Haven't talked about Dim Bulb in a while. All the comics are neck-deep in plot right now. I'm getting ready to reach the end of a storyline in Crooked Halo (should end in about a week and a half, actually). Adam's building up steam in Vapor Lock. And Troubled Times is getting ready to have a nice little twist or two to keep everyone nice and interested.

As far as numbers are concerned, Dim Bulb is doing quite well. We're averaging about 90-95 unique visitors per day, and this makes me happy. Folks seem to like our work and keep wanting to come back to see more of it. I'd like to be able to top 100 unique visitors per day if we can manage it. We're on the verge of it--not bad for a year's worth of work, eh?

Wow, a year...hard to believe that on the 18th of June, Dim Bulb will be a year old. We've grown a lot and made a lot of good connections. Just imagine what year two will be like.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "Across the Universe"

No comments: