Sunday, February 27, 2005

Iconoclasm And Browsers

So I switched to Mozilla's Firefox Browser earlier today, on a whim. Dunno what encouraged it (except perhaps for the desire to be able to comment regularly over at Websnark, and since the comment function doesn't support Internet Explorer but does support Firefox, I figured it was worth a shot).

My initial impressions of the browser are that it's pretty nice. It loads pages quickly (and a lot of pages actually look nicer and cleaner in Firefox than they do in IE), it imported my bookmarks from IE automatically, and it's very functional. There's no clutter, no pop-ups, etc.

One of the neatest things--and this is by no means a major feature, but it's one that grabbed my interest--is the website icon thing. Some websites have individual icons that sit next to the address in the address bar (and next to the website name in the bookmarks list). Firefox actually shows these icons (IE would occasionally, but only for a day or so, then it reverted back to the standard IE icon). These are cute, and it's neat to see which websites I frequent have actually bothered to create the special icons. Makes me think Dim Bulb could use one (and an obvious image comes to mind quite readily...need to talk to Monkey about doing that).

Anyway, I'm going to work with this for awhile, see if I like it. Just putzing around with this browser on the internet this afternoon before work was fun, so I think I'll probably use it. There's apparently some function where you can personalize your browser toolbar with backgrounds and stuff (I know IE has been able to do that for awhile, but your choices were rather limited. I want to see just how customizable the option is in Firefox). We'll see what happens.

Oh, review of Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne is forthcoming, since I grabbed that CD yesterday on my way back from the Metropolitan Library's Book Sale.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: XTC, "Here Comes President Kill Again"

No comments: